Monday, January 29, 2007

I like those tiny things


hide | show
Hey there,

with only one exam to go I thought I'd quickly write up another post here, as I won't have time after my exams because of my snowboarding trip to Austria, and I had something to share.
I have a 17 inch flatscreen monitor attached to my computer with a resulotion of 1280 by 1024 pixels. When I bought this piece I found it very big, as before I used 2 15 inch CRT screens to have some screen real estate which used all my precious space on my desk.
Well, after being used to this screen, I still don't find it big enough. So, I thought I'd try to make it look bigger by making everything that's displayed smaller :). Here's what I did and how to do it yourself, making your screen look bigger by making Gnome's widgets smaller:
  • Making Gnome-panels smaller:
Right-click on the panel and choose Properties, there you can set the size parameter.
  • Making the folders on my desktop and in directories smaller:
Open some folder and open the Edit menu and choose Preferences. On the first tab you can change the standard zoomfactors for iconview and listview. I used 75% for some time but now while writing this I changed it to 50% for both and it seems still very usable for me. Adjust this to your likes.
  • Making the Gnome menu's smaller in size:
This one's trickier and involves editing a configuration file. Open the .gtkrc-2.0 file (starting with a dot, it's a hidden file) with the text editor (for example, by pressing Alt-F2, entering "gedit ~/.gtkrc-2.0" in the inputfield and choosing Run) and add a new line like this:
gtk-icon-sizes="panel-menu=16,16:gtk-menu=16,16:gtk-button=16,16:gtk-small-toolbar=16,16:gtk-large-toolbar=24,24:gtk-dialog=32,32:gtk-dnd=32,32"
These are the values I use for different widgets, adjust 'm to your likes. You'll have to re-login for all the changes to be done. (PS: I found about this tip on this website)
  • Making Gnome's fonts smaller
Open System > Preferences > Fonts. The applicationss-fonts you can set there will be used on your gnome panels, in all your gnome application's menu's and buttons etc. The desktop-font is the one that is used for the names of files and folders on your desktop and in all directories. making those smaller results in smaller windows and panels. I set mine now to 6;7;6;7;7, which can sound rather small but it's well doable. See what's best for you!

I might have done more tweaks to make my screen look bigger, but I can't think of any now. I'll add 'm when I remember 'm!

See you!

13 Comments:

Anonymous Ignatius knowledgely replied ...

Thanks! Specially for the third one

4:21 PM, February 03, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous knowledgely replied ...

Thanks for the tips! Could you perhaps post a screenshot so I can see how tiny your desktop looks now? :)

8:48 PM, March 16, 2007  
Blogger Support knowledgely replied ...

Hi there,

Nice stuff you got, very interesting to read.
Well, I do have also in my sleeves, if you have time don't forget to visit

bookoftips.blogspot.com

Many thanks

10:24 AM, October 10, 2007  
Blogger Adi knowledgely replied ...

Oes Tsetnoc one of the ways in which we can learn seo besides Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa. By participating in the Oes Tsetnoc or Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa we can improve our seo skills. To find more information about Oest Tsetnoc please visit my Oes Tsetnoc pages. And to find more information about Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa please visit my Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa pages. Thank you So much.
Oes Tsetnoc | Semangat Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa

1:06 AM, November 28, 2009  
Anonymous Santa Eulalia Ibiza knowledgely replied ...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping

the same best work from you in the future as well.

<a href="http://www.ibiza-hotels.com/santaeulaliahotels.php >Santa Eulalia Ibiza</a>

7:45 AM, January 24, 2012  
Anonymous Electrician in Houston knowledgely replied ...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping

the same best work from you in the future as well.

<a href="http://www.electricianhouston.com/>Electrician in Houston</a>

9:32 AM, January 24, 2012  
Anonymous frases knowledgely replied ...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well.

<a href="http://frases.pt/>frases</a>

11:36 AM, January 24, 2012  
Anonymous Buy Cheap VPN Service Account knowledgely replied ...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well.

<a href="Buy Cheap VPN Service Account>Buy Cheap VPN Service Account</a>

12:30 PM, January 24, 2012  
Anonymous Voip Service knowledgely replied ...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well.

<a href="http://voipclub.biz>
Voip Service</a>

1:15 PM, January 24, 2012  
Anonymous Voip Service knowledgely replied ...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well.

Voip Service

7:11 AM, February 01, 2012  
Anonymous Pune City knowledgely replied ...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well.

Pune City

9:48 AM, February 01, 2012  
Anonymous Pune City knowledgely replied ...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well.

Pune City

9:52 AM, February 01, 2012  
Anonymous Golden Triangle Tours knowledgely replied ...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well.

Golden Triangle Tours

11:47 AM, February 01, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->