Saturday, January 15, 2005

More 2.10 stuff


hide | show
Hi,

As seen on this page, it seems like the following Gnome release will ship with a new menu-configuration;

Screenshots (from process-of-elimination.net):








Damn this looks great! It's very consistent as all apps are in the first menu and 'help' and 'network servers' are not in the applications-menu. Though, it was more intuitive to have "log out" and "screenshot" in a menu called "actions" then in this new "Desktop" menu. Why would I - as a new user - click on "Desktop" to log out ? Ok, it's not yet as bad as clicking on "start' to shut down :).

Cheers!

Labels:


6 Comments:

Blogger Eduardo O. Padoan knowledgely replied ...

good: menu-xdg (freedesktop.org standard) compliant
Maybe new non-gnome programs go direct to main menu too, as in the debian menu.
bad: people in ubuntuforums says that there is not the applications location. I hope that the developers are still developing the gnome-vfs connection, I really like to use nautilus to do the menu management work!

10:32 PM, January 15, 2005  
Blogger Eduardo O. Padoan knowledgely replied ...

Maybe "Dekstop -> log out" means "log out of the desktop user session" :)
But actions is really more obvious, I agree :)

10:34 PM, January 15, 2005  
Blogger Karel Demeyer knowledgely replied ...

I want that applications:// too :| :D

12:41 AM, January 16, 2005  
Blogger Eduardo O. Padoan knowledgely replied ...

Yeah, applications:/// rocks. BTW, I want to have a search:/// too, to put the results of the search tool... I know it's possible, I read somethings about the GNOME-VFS libs. It's more or less part of the idea of the GNOME Storage. It really rocks.

5:01 PM, January 16, 2005  
Blogger Eduardo O. Padoan knowledgely replied ...

As in Unix philosophy: Everything's a file! Or should be... In Plan 9, as I read about, It is, *everything* a file. One day, in a virtual machine (bochs), I will give it a try...

5:13 PM, January 16, 2005  
Blogger Karel Demeyer knowledgely replied ...

Only the thought makes me think "what a geek!" :D (positively meant :p)
I'd like such a search:// too :D ... and I can't wait for Gnome-storage and Beagle to be on my box :)

5:30 PM, January 16, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->