Friday, January 07, 2005

Dragging windows in desktop-switcher


hide | show
Hi there,

I studied a lot today and allmost forgot to post something; no worry, I'm alive and kicking :p. I get comments on my blog by mail etc from people telling me "I can do that with my non-Gnome desktop environment too". I believe you guys, I just think there are a lot of Gnome users that are not aware of those tricks, and don't use there environment in it's full glory (yet). I'm just not always gonna check if trick X or feature Y is also available on Windows, KDE or OS X; ifso, the users of those environments reading my blog, not knowing those tricks and trying out if it works on their platform too, also will learn something from this blog :).
Anyway, did you know you can drag the miniature-windows in the workspace-switcher applet ? You can't do this if you have the names of your workspaces on it, but who does that if (s)he knows about this possibility ;) ? I you are normal a user like me, I think 4 workspaces is the best solution. One of my worspaces (2) is always filled up by evolution, the last is populated by blam, the first is for normal use (like IM, reading websites etc) and the third is for work :). If I work on a text, Abiword or Gedit fills it up, Gimp for image manipulation, Gnumeric for spreadsheets etc.

The desktop-switcher applet:


See you!

Labels:


8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous knowledgely replied ...

How do you get those application icons to show up on the windows in the desktop switcher?

9:29 PM, January 07, 2005  
Blogger Karel Demeyer knowledgely replied ...

"How do you get those application icons to show up on the windows in the desktop switcher?"
Well, I think they get an icon on 'm once the miniature-windows are big enough for it. Try once to maximise your windows, hope you'll see it then.

10:53 PM, January 07, 2005  
Blogger Karel Demeyer knowledgely replied ...

Rodrigo, please make a feature requesting bug report about it! I'd like to see that :D

11:01 PM, January 07, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous knowledgely replied ...

While this feature of the gnome-pager is very useful, the Enlightenment pager also allowed you to move windows around on the current desktop which was even more cool! Maybe I should submit this as a feature request...

Cheers,
Nathan
http://www.toobusyto.org.uk

6:42 PM, January 08, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous knowledgely replied ...

"the Enlightenment pager also allowed you to move windows around on the current desktop which was even more cool!"

The GNOME pager once did this, but it wasn't reintroduced, I think because it's somewhat pointless? Why would you prefer dragging around a tiny miniature of the window, instead of the real window directly? The current method makes it easier to simply move the window to another workspace, which is probably what you want to do in 99% of the cases.

10:35 AM, January 09, 2005  
Blogger Karel Demeyer knowledgely replied ...

I wouldn't use it either. The enlightenment pager is also much bigger I think, so it makes more sence there, you can't accurately 'drag' miniature windows around on the small gnome pagers and I like it that way The pager shouldn't take much screen-space as is nicely integrated in the panel as applet. gDesklets ships some bigger pagers, but I think they use the same applet. Maybe it would be usefull to have this feature in such a desklet, though I won't use it I guess :).

11:40 AM, January 09, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous knowledgely replied ...

[re: being able to move windows on the pager]
It's true that I am using a desklet-based pager rathan than a panel-based one, but as I tend to have lots of very small windows on each desktop rather than one large one, it helps to have a bigger pager. I think my main use of being able to position windows in the pager would be that I could then drop the window I am bringing from another desktop exactly where I want it, instead of having to bring it onto my current desktop, then position it.

Cheers,
Nathan

4:19 PM, January 09, 2005  
Blogger Karel Demeyer knowledgely replied ...

Right, I get it. I sometimes want this feature too. You first move it in the pager and then have to move it again on your desktop. Request this feature! :)
Karel Demeyer.

5:40 PM, January 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->