Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Gnome Windowmanager magic


hide | show
Hiho - time for some tricks !

If you never used Gnome before, you could ask yourself, why the ... err ... 'heck' is that gnome-thing so much better then the desktop I'm using right now? Well, that's what this blog is all about; I'll give you an example. Something I really miss when I have to use e.g. a Microsoft Windows environment - I have to when there's no linux-computer available or I just don't have the time for a reboot on the dual-boot machines - is the Alt+Mouse magic. To drag a window around in Gnome, you can simply hold down the Alt-button and drag the window around with your left-mousebutton. You can grab the window at any spot, you won't destroy any of it's contents. so, when the title-bar of a window is offscreen, you can get that one back! i haven't found a way yet to do that in MS Windows. There's a great trick relevant to this one; when a window is maximised and you drag it downwards, it unmaximizes. Drag it back while still holding down the mousebutton and it gets maximised again! This is great to have a peek at your desktop and any applications.
One more; hold down Alt and drag with the middle mouse-button, you see how easy it is to resize a window without having to get your mouse cursor exactly on those corners first? I love it :D!

EDIT: I added some more Metacity (Gnome Windowmanager) tricks in my next blog(s). (01/02/2005)

Labels:


3 Comments:

Blogger Karel Demeyer knowledgely replied ...

Hey, I didn't know about this trick.
Great! Thank you. I'll edit the post for this.
Thank you for reading my blog. Do you want to cooperate ? I'll try to contact you.

8:52 PM, January 05, 2005  
Blogger Javier knowledgely replied ...

great trick, I use it a lot, only that I use the windowze flag key (Super from now on) instead of alt, I'm not saying it's better, but at least I gave a good use to that generally useless key ;)

2:40 AM, January 10, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous knowledgely replied ...

:) for mouse majic in windows go get Win32WM from http://www.vendomar.ee/~matti/win32wm.html

that will allow you to alt + rightclick = resize, alt + leftclick = move, alt + middleclick = lower and more. just run the excutable twice to make the configuration dialogue popup.

5:05 PM, December 08, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->