Thursday, January 06, 2005

Searching in Nautilus


hide | show
Some tips about searching for files in specific folders in Nautilus;

As you expect from modern filemanagers, if you type a character on your keyboard, Nautilus jumps to the first file/folder beginning with that charater; but nautilus does more, you can use type-ahead search to search for a specific file/folder if you know it's name, you just have to type quickly enough ;).

You can also search files/folders with a pattern in Nautilus. Pressing Ctrl-S gives you a dialog with 1 input-field. If you type in e.g. *.ogg, it will select all your ogg-files in that directory. I use this feature for example to select all my screenshots I saved temporary on my desktop. I press Ctrl-S on my desktop, type in Screenshot*, press OK, and all my un-renamed screenshots are ready to be dragged to Pictures/Screenshots!

A screenshot showing the Ctrl-S feature: (note I was too lazy to log in with English as language, so you'll learn some Dutch while watching this ;))

Click on the image to see it in full size.


Ciao!

Labels:


2 Comments:

Blogger Tom Jenkins knowledgely replied ...

I think you can do this in most file managers :) You can in konqueror anyway. And yeah, helps you type quick ;)

6:14 PM, January 07, 2005  
Blogger Karel Demeyer knowledgely replied ...

As of I *** care about konqueror ;) *joking*!
thanks for the comment Tom!

11:06 PM, January 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->