Tuesday, January 04, 2005

~/Templates


hide | show
I 'm having exams soon, so I won't be writing big articles for some time, but I'll keep on satisfying you with Gnome tips and tricks you might not know yet!

Do you have a directory called Templates in you home-directory ? If not, create it immediately as this is the place where you can put template files to create Documents with some clicks from your Gnome desktop. If the directory exists and there is minimum 1 file in it, you'll have an extra entry in the menu when you right-click on your desktop in Gnome (version 2.6 or higher). For example, you can create an empty Abiword document and store it as "Abiword document.abw" in ~/Templates so you can right-click on your desktop and select Create document > Abiword document. I did the same with a Gnumeric file, a Gimp-file a plain-text file etc.
You can also create an Abiword file with a header with your name and adress and store it as "Letter template" in ~/Templates to create letters with a click ... there are just so much possibilities :).
And you can create subdirectories too like ~/Templates/Work/Letter.abw or ~/Templates/Blogging/Blog with 1 image and 1 link.txt etc.

Templates in action:

Click on the image to see it in full size.


cheers!

Labels:


5 Comments:

Blogger Pavel knowledgely replied ...

It's funny, but I was using Gnome for already 2-3 years and I didn't know about it.

thx.

5:23 PM, January 04, 2005  
Blogger Karel Demeyer knowledgely replied ...

I'm glad I could help you :)

6:28 PM, January 04, 2005  
Blogger Eduardo O. Padoan knowledgely replied ...

That's very nice! That is one of those unknow Gnome Tricks... I think that should be a ~/Template/Abiword Document.abw, a ~/Template/Abiword Document.abw, a ~/Template/Gnumeric Spreadsheet.gnumeric, etc, it should be created by the Gnome applications.
Can you say something about the Nautilus Scripts? ThatÅ› another one of those things.... you know :)
Thank you very much!!!

11:58 PM, January 04, 2005  
Blogger Karel Demeyer knowledgely replied ...

I will mention the nautilus scripts, it's on my todo list, as I use them daily :)
thanks for reading and commenting on my blog !

12:11 AM, January 05, 2005  
Blogger Joe WIlson knowledgely replied ...

thanks for the tip.. I have been using gnome for the past year and didn't even stumble upon this one yet.. Now its easy to get my Open Office spreadsheets & Documents going..

9:08 PM, August 24, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->